The Power of Fiction

Recently I've been thinking about what exactly fiction means to me. Fiction plays a huge role in my life whether it be reading, watching TV and movies, writing, playing DnD, or just fandom-related things like Tumblr. I majored in Literature so even my major was based in fiction to a degree. For a while I worried that my love of fiction was a form of escape, that maybe I was replacing reality with fantasy. But I don't think so. I feel like I use fiction as inspiration and a tool to process my life. Yes, it often is a distraction but I feel like it is so much more than that. Fiction has made my life richer in ways I can't really put into words. It's given me courage when I'm scared, encouragement when I'm down, taught me life lessons, made me laugh, made me cry. I've made connections to people through a mutual love of fiction. I've made memories. I've heard people give others a hard time for being invested in something that isn't real, but they don't understand that it's real to the people that love not. Not in a crazy way where they aren't able to distinguish reality from fantasy, but that it's something that has given them joy and made their life richer.

So I'm not exactly sure how to describe the role fiction plays in my life. I may not even realize the extent of it myself. But I'm done worrying about it. I'm done feeling ashamed that I love fiction and fantasy and stories. I can differentiate what's real and what's not. I don't use fiction to ignore my life. I use it to make it deeper and richer.  

Comments