American Gods and The Handmaid's Tale

I had a chance to get caught up on TV today. I watched the first three episodes of The Handmaid's Tale. I'll go ahead and say that I haven't read the novel. It's one of those that's been on my list for a long time but I haven't gotten to it. I still definitely intend to read it. The show is really good. And honestly disturbing with how timely it is. It's scary when you can see these sorts of things happening. A lot of articles I've read share this thought- it hits close to home. The show is powerful and overall very well-done. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series.

Anyone that knows me knows how excited I've been about American Gods. I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan and I love the novel. The show is everything I hoped it would be. And it's only the first episode. We meet Shadow, Low Key, Bilquis, Technical Boy, Mad Sweeney, Mr. Wednesday, and Laura (briefly) and they're all amazingly cast. Like they stepped out of the novel. And I have to say Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday is the greatest thing ever. I just hate it's only one hour a week. I want more. Right now. I'm also curious where they'll end the season. I saw an interview saying the first season will only cover about a third of the novel. I figured they weren't covering the whole novel in one season, especially when I saw several characters missing from the cast list. I also saw mention of Neil Gaiman hopefully writing an episode at some point. Which would obviously be amazing. Especially if he wrote the big finale episode. I also read mention of incorporating parts of Anansi Boys into the show. So that'll be cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the characters introduced (especially Mr. Nancy).

A quick reading update: I finished Truly Madly Guilty and really enjoyed it. I had been worried it would be too similar to Big Little Lies because of the plot set-up (the story taking place after an unknown big event and it slowly being revealed to the reader through flashbacks what happened). But it was definitely a different story and had a different tone. Also, the characters were interesting because I disliked several of them. I'm not sure if it was intentional, which is what makes it interesting. They were written in a way where you could possibly like them, they're not outright terrible, but they really rubbed me the wrong way. Probably because I've met actual people similar to them. Those are just a few thoughts. I might do a more in-depth post about the book. But overall it was great.

I'm currently reading Into Thin Air. It's one of those I've wanted to read forever but just haven't for one reason or another. I've always had a big interest in Mount Everest and climbing in general. Possibly because I'm terrified of heights and could never do it so I have to live vicariously through others. But it's a really interesting book. I'm usually not a big memoir fan, but every now and then I'll find a well-written one that grabs my interest.

That's it for now. Let me know if anyone else is as excited about American Gods as I am!

Comments