Summer Reads: June

I haven't gotten to do as much reading as I've wanted to this summer, but what I've read has been awesome.

Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner

Fly Away Home

I wanted to read this novel because I really enjoyed Weiner's other book All Fall Down. It was a good book to start the summer with. Her books are generally labeled as "chick lit" but I think they're a lot deeper than that. She does a great job creating complex and flawed characters dealing with complicated situations life throws at them.

The View From the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman

The View from the Cheap Seats LP: A Collection of Introductions, Essays, and Assorted Writings

I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan so I was excited to check out his collection of non-fiction. I'm still working my way through but I love it so far! My favorite essay has been "Three Authors: On Lewis, Tolkien and Chesterton..." It's always awesome when one of your favorite authors has the same favorite authors as you do. I never knew Gaiman was a big Tolkien fan so it made my day that he had an essay talking about Tolkien and how his writing affected him. If you had told me years ago I'd be reading an essay collection for fun I wouldn't have believed you. But Gaiman makes it feel less like a collection of essays and speeches and more like a conversation.

Doctor Strange (Vol. 1): The Way of the Weird by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo
Doctor Strange, Vol. 1: The Way of the Weird

I've been reading a recent Deadpool series in which Doctor Strange appears (and is understandably 100% done with Deadpool and his antics). I really liked his character and was happy to find a new series. I really enjoyed it and definitely plan on continuing reading it.

The Mist-Torn Witches by Barb Hendee
The Mist-Torn Witches (The Mist-Torn Witches #1)
I haven't read much fantasy lately so I was browsing the new sci-fi and fantasy aisle at the bookstore and found the 4th book in this series. It looked interesting so I went and got the first book. I'm about to get started today but it looks like a fun series.

That's it for now. I have a Goodreads account if anyone wants to be friends on there. Happy summer reading everyone!

Comments