What I'm Reading: Life Below the Stairs

Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants

To be honest I haven't gotten a lot of reading done lately. It's been a crazy past couple of weeks with my new job (I can't believe I've already been there five weeks!) and life in general. But I do want to do a post on my current read: Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants by Alison Maloney. 

This book was directed towards Downton Abbey fans (I'm a big one) so of course I decided to check it out. It's about 200 pages and well written. I'm about 3/4 of the way through right now. A lot of the information I know from the show but it's still a really interesting read. I like the way it's divided into topics like social background, household structure, pay and conditions, a day in the life of a country house, code of conduct, hiring and firing, etc. I also enjoy that there are first-hand accounts and letters. 

I would definitely recommend this book to Downton Abbey fans who want to dive deeper into the history. I would also recommend this to anyone who likes reading about history. This was an interesting period of change as WWI greatly affected the social structures of the time. I'm usually not a huge non-fiction reader, but this book was written in an engaging and easy-to-follow way. 

Here's the book on Goodreads and Amazon
 


Comments