Top Ten Tuesday: Anti-Valentine's Day Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week is a Valentine's day freebie. My Valentine's tradition for the past several years has been to drink wine and watch Gladiator. Why Gladiator? It's the most un-romantic, depressing, anti-valentine's day movies. And it's one of my favorites. Plus Russell Crowe. All that to say, my freebie is....

Best ill-fated romances in books for an anti-Valentine's day! 

  1. Hamlet by William Shakespeare. No one can catch a damn break. 
  2. Atonement by Ian McEwan. Robbie and Cecilia cannot catch a damn break. 
  3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. 
  4. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. 
  5. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. I had the same reaction as Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook. 
  6. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. 
  7. A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. Things don't work out well for the majority of couples. Or people in general. 
  8. 1984 by George Orwell. 
  9. Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert. 
  10. The Painted Veil by W Somerset Maugham
And that concludes my top ten ill fated romances. Any that anyone else wants to add? Am I the only bitter and jaded asshole spending Valentine's day alone watching violence and gladiators?

Comments

  1. I read a lot of lists this week, and I was hoping someone would do this! Great list! I love to know which books to avoid when I'm in the mood for a good romance :p

    My TTT.

    Also, feel free to check out our giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are all amazing and on my favorites list! But they are ones to avoid if you want a happy ending :p They are definitely beautiful and have some great romance, even though it doesn't end well.

      Delete

Post a Comment