Top Ten Books I Enjoyed That Weren't My Typical Genre

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

For anyone that doesn't follow my blog, my genres I mainly read are fantasy, science fiction, and comics/graphic novels. I'll sometimes read historical fiction. I guess genres that I don't read a lot are romance (bleh), super fluffy books (I have nothing against them, I just like it when sh*t blows up), horror, and non-fiction. 

1. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Big Little Lies
I'm not sure what genre I'd put this in exactly. I actually read it because I kept hearing everyone talk about it and wanted to know what all the hype was. I ended up really liking it! 

2. Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon 
Outlander (Outlander, #1)
While I do like historical fiction, I'm not a big romance person. Actually I hate romance. And that's a key part to Outlander. However, I ended up really loving the series. I'm currently on the third book Voyager and watch the TV series.  

3. A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
This is actually one of my favorite books now. I don't read a lot of non-fiction and I generally dislike memoirs (I feel like they can get narcissistic like "oh let me tell you all about my life ad how amazing I am"). However, this book is freaking amazing and it's enlightened me that there are good memoirs out there. 

5. Somewhere in France by Jennifer Robson
Somewhere in France
WWI is actually a historical period I'm interested in. However, as I've stated, I hate romance. However, this reminded me of A Farewell to Arms a bit (except not as emotionally devastating). 


6. While We Were Watching Downton Abbey by Wendy Wax
While We Were Watching Downton Abbey
I picked this one up because I love Downton Abbey and I thought it would be fun to read a story about people meeting and bonding over the show. I wasn't disappointed. It was a fun book! 

7.All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner
All Fall Down
This was another one of those books where I read it because I had heard a lot about it. I really liked it! 

8. Looking for Alaska by John Green
Looking for Alaska
I read this because I didn't want to be the only person on the planet who had never read a John Green book. I really enjoyed it and will probably check his other stuff out. 

9. The Family by Marissa Kennerson
The Family
I'm not sure what genre this book would fall under, but it's a novel of a girl growing up in a cult. It's like a Jonestown type cult. My thought process was "That sounds weird...I'm gonna read it!" It's a really good book.

10. Party Girl series by Rachel Hollis
Party Girl (The Girls, #1)
This book is about a girl from Texas that moves to LA to become and event planner. She ends up being an intern for a horrible boss. It reminded me of The Devil Wears Prada. It was a fun book and I liked the sequel Sweet Girl. The third book Smart Girl was kind of meh. 

So those are books from genres I wouldn't usually read or just books that I didn't think I'd really like but ended up enjoying.



Comments

  1. I was the same with Looking For Alaska. I didn't want to read it because I thought everyone was just being fangirls, but I was wrong, it is a great book! :)
    Great Top Ten!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment