Top Ten Tuesday: Books I almost put down





 Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. 

  1. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It is a tough one to get through. I picked it up again for a class and ended up loving it. I just needed some guidance with it.
  2. Game of Thrones George RR Martin. It's super intense and (spoilers) I almost put it down when one of the direwolves was killed. But I kept reading and eventually got used to the large amounts of violence to find a very compelling story with unique characters underneath. 
  3. Dracula by Bram Stoker. The format of an epistolary novel weirded me out since it was a horror novel. It was also super long and took a while to get rolling. But I loved it and it's also one of my favorites. 
  4. Beloved by Toni Morrison. It's a dense read and takes a lot of focus. But I am glad I read it because it really is a great work! 
  5. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. I originally got this book because it had to do with Jack the Ripper and tea. It really started to drag in the middle but finally picked up. It follows the main character for a few generations; the end was rewarding though. Not sure if I will read the sequels however.  
  6. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I generally dislike stream of consciousness. But Woolf is so great at it that I eventually buckled down and read it and really enjoyed it. 
  7. The Beautiful and Dammed by F Scott Fitzgerald. It's a bit slow at times and definitely not action packed. It's more of a psychological book. But I ended up enjoying it! 
  8. The Light Horseman's Daughter by David Crookes. I got it because it's set in Australia. I hated the love story and the ending. Other than that it was ok. I'm glad I finished it. 
Annnnd that's all I've got! Anyone else have books they've finished and are glad of or regret it?  

Comments