Top Ten Tuesday: (Somewhat Unexpected) Characters I Relate To

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! 

This week's topic: Top Ten Characters Who ------- (you fill in the blank). So I am going to do the Top Ten (Somewhat Unexpected) Characters I Relate To!







  1. Bilbo Baggins: Bilbo is my favorite literary character. I can relate to his dilemma in that he loves his home yet longs for adventure. Like him I need a shove to step out of my comfort zone (fortunately I have a few Gandalfs in my life to do so). I also enjoy his resourcefulness, his determination, and his unexpected courage- these are all traits I strive for. Plus I love to eat. 
  2. Holden Caulfield: I feel his angst. Also, I love the unique way he has at looking at the world and his introspection. And I am a smartass (although not as an exceptional a smartass as Holden). 
  3. Hamlet: Another angsty person. No, my father was never murdered by my uncle and then married to my mom. But I understand Hamlet's dilemma and how he struggles with not only his morality but living up to his family's expectations. 
  4. Victor Frankenstein: Further angst! Don't worry, I won't be dismembering the dead and trying to create life any time soon. But I understand being overwhelmed by a passion as well as longing for acceptance by society. 
  5. Kitty Fane: I'm not an adulterer but I do understand wanting a picturesque life and turning to harmful measures when that fails. Also, there is a bit of selfishness in us all.
  6. Tyrion Lannister: His love of books and the fact that he is an underdog that manages to outwit everyone. He knows the importance of intelligence and doesn't let the lack of physical strength stop him. Plus he loves wine. 
  7. Briony Tallis: I hope I would never tell a lie so terrible that it ruined and ended the lives of several people. However, I do understand the sometimes crippling imagination she has. I also remember doing a lot of writing as a kid ( I still do). 
  8. Ruby Thewes: One relatable fact is that I live in the boondocks (however, I don't live on a farm). I love her down-to-earthness and can relate to the fact of trying to hide my emotions in order to appear tough. I have also had interesting experiences befriending people different than me (not necessarily just financially/social class related, like her and Ada, but also other cultures, religions, etc.). 
  9.  Arthur Dent: Mainly his love of tea. If the Earth were destroyed and I were thrown into a crazy space adventure a cup of tea would totally be my priority too.
  10. Dorian Gray: I never age and keep a portrait of myself locked in my attic...no, not really. It's more like I'm too attractive for my own good...no, not that either. How about the fact that he is struggling with his mortality and also with trying to find out who he is. 
BTW the characters are from The Hobbit, The Catcher in the Rye, Hamlet, Frankenstein, The Painted Veil, A Song of Ice and Fire series (aka Game of Thrones), Atonement, Cold Mountain, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and The Picture of Dorian Gray respectively.    



Comments