Top Ten Tuesday: 4/1/14


Top Ten "gateway" books/authors in my reading journey!!
"All of us readers have those books that really started us on our way to becoming book lovers. It could be something we read as young children, or it could be a book we picked up in adulthood after years of a reading drought. Or, it could be an author or book that introduced us to a new favorite genre. This week's Top Ten Tuesday puts a spotlight on those books and authors that we credit with our bookishness."

  1. Tolkien! Specifically The Hobbit (which is still my favorite book)!
  2. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde was what really got me interested in studying the classic literary works
  3. Hills Like White Elephants by Hemingway. This short story was the first thing I read in a college literature class and was what helped me decide to become a literature major. 
  4. Shakespeare. Obviously. From the moment I read him I fell in love. Hamlet is still my favorite play. 
  5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley really inspired my love for darker novels with really deep themes (ie Dracula, The Awakening, 1984, The Painted Veil)
  6. The Dear America series: I consumed these as a kid. There are a ton of them and I must have read the majority. I learned a lot about history from them. 
  7. Where the Wild Things Are. The first book I really remember reading and becoming my favorite. I still love it! 
  8. Flannery O'Connor is a more recent author I've read but she has inspired my writing and my love for gothic (especially southern gothic). 
  9. The Catcher in the Rye helped me through my angsty teenage years but also taught me about a writer having a really unique voice. 
  10. As a kid some other series I loved included The Chronicles of Narnia, A Wrinkle in Time (which simultaneously creeped me out and began my love for Sci-fi), the Magic Tree House series, and I know there are more but I can't recall all of them!
  11. Bonuses: Ayn Rand (We the Living and Anthem) and Pearl S Buck (The Good Earth)
This has made me realize that there are a lot of authors that have made contributions to my readership! I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch out. Thanks to all the amazing writers who have turned me into the person I am today!

Comments