Book Blogger Hop: Oct. 25th-31st

A weekly meme hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer!




October 25th - 31st: Halloween Edition: What is your favorite horror novel and why? 

I have to go with a tie, because it is a tough choice. It is a tie between two classics: Dracula by Bram Stoker and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. 

   Here are some reasons for my choices. First, they are the original scary stories and though there have been many imitations, they are one of a kind. Also, they have inspired countless wonderful works and adaptations. Second, one cannot judge these books by the movies that have been made. There are some sucky adaptations out there and with the vampire trend there are inaccurate  dare I say blasphemous, sparkly vampires out in the world. Not cool. Finally, the novels are scary but well-written. They are beautiful at times. I believe that adds to the horror of the novel. You have a grotesque scene being described with beautiful words. Here are some quotes from some spine-tingling parts of the novels. 

Dracula, when Jonathan Harker is locked in a room in Dracula's castle and is looking out his window to see the Count being creepy: "…My very feelings changed to repulsion and terror when I saw the whole man slowly emerge from the window and begin to crawl down the castle wall over the dreadful abyss, face down with his cloak spreading out around him like great wings."

Frankenstein, when Victor realizes he may have made an error in judgement by piecing together a body from corpses and instilling life into it: "It was on a dreary night in November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils...It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs. How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavored to form?"   


Comments

  1. Nice blog....I don't read horror, but I have enjoyed seeing the answers to this question.

    Happy Halloween!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment