Top Ten Tuesday: Film Adaptations!


Weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish in which there is a top ten list for different literary topics!

This week (Sept. 10th): Top ten books you would like to see be made into movies (or TV shows)!

  1. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Sallinger: This is a tough one. Most of the novel is interior dialogue/ thoughts so it would be hard to transition this without obnoxious narration. Plus the casting of Holden Caulfield would have to be absolutely perfect for the movie to work. It would be hard to find someone able to be snarky and angsty and yet likable. 
  2. The Foreshadowing by Marcus Sedgewick: Not many people have read this book, but it would make an excellent movie! Set in WWI, a girl can sometimes see if someone is going to die. No one believes her. She then sees her brothers death and runs to France to try to stop it. There is another psychic character named Jack that is awesome and the backdrop of the Battle of the Somme is haunting and exciting. 
  3. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver: About a missionary family in the Congo in the 60's. It is interesting because the father is a crazy fundamentalist, the four daughters are all totally different from one another, and the political backdrop is unstable. This all creates dramatic tension. Plus Kingsolver is brilliant the way she wrote it!
  4. We the Living by Ayn Rand: With Atlas Shrugged being made into a decent set of movies, I really want someone to do my favorite book by Rand! This story is set in communist Russia and involves a spirited and intelligent girl named Kira and a love triangle. The plot sounds typical, but the way the novel is written is amazing and moving and I feel like a good director and great actors could translate this onto the screen. 
  5. The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien: I know this is pretty much impossible to translate into movie form, but they said that about Lord of the Rings. So Jackson needs to step up and finish what he started because I want to see Beren and Luthien on screen!!!
  6. A Farewell to Arms  by Ernest Hemingway: There may be older adaptations of this movie, but I think it's time for a new rendition of this classic tale. Done right this story is moving and not your typical love story. 
  7. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis: They need to A) Finish what they started and B) make sure they don't suck *cough-Prince Caspian-cough*. I want to see The Magician's Nephew and The Horse and His Boy, they are my favorites of the series! I loved the first movie, disliked the second, and thought the third was ok. I want them to continue, but do it right.
  8. Bloody Jack series by LA Meyer: I feel like this would make a great TV series. There's plenty of material to work with. The challenges would be breaking the books up into episodes and seasons and casting. The books follows Jacky from when she is a little girl to when she is a young adult so multiple actors would be needed. Bur who doesn't love a good pirate story (with some twists)?!
  9. A Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy by Libba Bray: This gothic young adult fantasy series would fit in well with recent movies: except this series is better! It is well written, has complex characters and detailed settings. Plus the Victorian era adds a lot to the story. It is dark and emotional and compelling. If they do the movies, however, they have to do them right! I am felling Jennifer Lawrence would make a good Gemma. 
  10. The Sorrows of Young Werther by Wolfgang von Goethe: I just finished reading this book and loved it. I would love to see a big screen adaptation that captured the beauty and complexity of the book. Plus there is an abundance of handsome British actors more than capable of taking on the role of Werther. 
*Honorable mentions: Tamora Pierce (any of her books would make excellent movies), The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, and Joseph Andrews by Fielding.

 I finally made it to ten (and beyond)! Sorry the post was so long. Stay tuned for more exciting list-making. 



Comments

  1. I am kicking myself for forgetting my beloved Jacky Faber! I would totally watch her TV show! I also like your pick of The Poisonwood Bible. I agree, she is brilliant...though I haven't read her new one yet...Thanks for sharing. Here are my picks http://wp.me/pzUn5-1F9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! As soon as I posted this I remembered abut three more books I should have added! I am glad someone else has read The Poisonwood Bible, it lacks popularity for such a great novel.

      Delete
  2. Great set this week. Gemma Doyle all the way, I really need to reread those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Definitely would love more Narnia movies!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment