The Wise (or not so wise) words of Hamlet

I am definitely a Shakespeare fan. And of all the plays Hamlet is my absolute favorite. I recently got to see a live production that was very well done and that got me to thinking about my love for the play and Shakespeare. One of the great things about it: it is so quotable! There are lines of wisdom, dramatic lines, hilarious lines, and then lines that are beautifully written. Or all of the above. So here be a post in honor of the great lines of Hamlet that are so applicable to situations in life (and even if they aren't it's still fun to quote them randomly and out of context). 

-“To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come...." 

“Conscience doth make cowards of us all.” I feel like this line sums up the play. Hamlet is having to deal with revenge vs. conscience and it is getting to him. It is a very direct, dramatic, and driven line. Once again I'm not sure why this one sticks out to me, it just does. 

“Lord Polonius: What do you read, my lord?
Hamlet: Words, words, words.
Lord Polonius: What is the matter, my lord?
Hamlet: Between who?
Lord Polonius: I mean, the matter that you read, my lord.” Hamlet: Prince of Smartass-ery. I love his completely snarky and sarcastic replies. As you may have noticed, I derived the name of my blog from this line. 

“One may smile, and smile, and be a villain. ” There is truth in this. This line gives me chills. 

“When sorrows come, they come not single spies. But in battalions!” Another line that is true. 

“Madness in great ones must not unwatched go.” Another great summary line. You had one job Polonius, one job!

“This above all: to thine own self be true.” One of the rare moments when Polonius actually gives good advice. 

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.” You don't say....

“God hath given you one face, and you make yourself another.” This is basically the Elizabethan way of calling someone a two faced bitch. I love it. 

“I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.” I got to quote this completely out of context in a play where I played a drunken English teacher. 

“I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind.”

"I'll rant as well as thou" Challenge accepted. 

"A little more than kin a little less than kind"

"Not so my lord, I am too much in the sun" Claudius just got burned. 

Comments