More of my favorite fictional characters

The continuation of the post in which I express my love for fictional literary characters.

Holden Caulfield (The Catcher in the Rye): Completely honest and a complete smartass in the best possible way. Holden has a unique and hilariously cynical way at looking at the world. But at times he is also very profound.
“All morons hate it when you call them a moron.” 
“Grand. There's a word I really hate. It's a phony. I could puke every time I hear it.”
“I can be quite sarcastic when I'm in the mood.” 

Tyrion Lannister (Song of Ice and Fire series): Before HBO went and made the series a pop culture phenomenon, there were the books. Really long books. I mean long. And my favorite character is the conniving younger son of the Lannister family known as the Imp. Another excellent smartass, he uses his brain to outwit his opponents.
“Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 
“My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That's why I read so much Jon Snow.” 
“I am not questioning your honor, I am denying its existence.” 

Dorian Gray (The Picture of Dorian Gray): Kind of an odd choice. But it is so interesting to see a character go from "innocent" to "evil" in literally a split second decision. Selling one's soul for eternal youth is not a good life choice. Dorian makes a complex and dynamic villain.
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.” 
“What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?” 
“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful.” 

Hamlet (Hamlet): A choice similar to that of Dorian Gray. A troubled young man whose passion leads him to avenge his father as he teeters on the brink of insanity. While his motivations are pure, is he doing the right thing? Is Hamlet the hero or the well-intentioned villain? And yes, he is yet another awesome smartass.
 “Conscience doth make cowards of us all.” 
“One may smile, and smile, and be a villain. ” 
“Words, words, words.” 
“I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind.” 
“I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.” 
And of course....“To be or not to be that is the question.” 


To Be Continued....Again

Comments