A-Z Bookish Survey!

Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner came up with this great bookish survey. And I copied it from Bookshelf Fantasies What better way to spend time than by thinking about all things book-related? Want to play? Just answer the A to Z prompts in your own post — and have fun! 


AUTHOR YOU’VE READ THE MOST BOOKS FROM:

J.R.R. Tolkien. I have read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Book of Lost Tales, The Tolkien Reader, and I have read several biographies about him (not authored by him, obviously, but it is still Tolkien-related. Shakespeare would be a close second, I have read most of his plays and all his sonnets. 

BEST SEQUEL EVER:

It is a tough choice! There are several series with good sequels in them. Some that come to mind are Catching Fire from The Hunger Games series, A Clash of Kings from A Song of Ice and Fire series, and Rebel Angels from the Gemma Doyle series. I just found out that the novel The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly has two sequels! I look forward to reading them.

CURRENTLY READING:

A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin (fourth part of A Song of Ice and Fire series aka the third book after A Game of Thrones)

DRINK OF CHOICE WHILE READING:

Hot Tea. Earl Grey. With a hint of peppermint.

E-READER OR PHYSICAL BOOK?

I switch back and forth. E-readers are convenient and you can get great prices and free classics. But I still buy paper copies of books and own all of my favorites in paperback copies. 

FICTIONAL CHARACTER YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY DATED IN HIGH SCHOOL:

This may sound strange but I might have to go with Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit (minus the somewhat big age difference). He's chill, likes to eat ( a lot), loves to read, and is sweet. He also has an adventurous streak and has proven that he is willing to put his own life on the line to help others, and he is also brave for overcoming his fears. He is very open about his feelings and will not hesitate to let you know what he is thinking/feeling. Sadly he never married. Maybe because he never met me!

GLAD YOU GAVE THIS BOOK A CHANCE:

The Hunger Games series. It was so popular, and I was a bit pretentious and thought it couldn't possibly be that good if everyone liked it (ie. I thought it was the next Twilight). But I got off my high-horse and loved it. Next time a book is popular I won't judge it until I read it myself. 

HIDDEN GEM BOOK:

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. I saw the synopsis in a magazine and figured I'd give it a try. It is a beautifully haunting story and very well written. It's not your usual coming of age tale. 

IMPORTANT MOMENT IN YOUR READING LIFE:

Either when I first read The Hobbit and realized how beautiful literature was or when I read Shakespeare for the first time and realized I understood it and enjoyed it. Also, when I decided to disregard society's opinions and become a Literature major because it's what I love.

JUST FINISHED: 

Kindred by Octavia Butler. It was required reading for my Literature class, but I ended up loving it. Beautiful and powerfully written. 
KINDS OF BOOKS YOU WON’T READ:
The Twilight books, Fifty Shades of Grey etc. books that are not well written nor do they have a good plot or decent character development. I can put up with mediocre writing if the story is compelling, or a weaker story if the writing is amazing. But not something lacking both. 

LONGEST BOOK YOU’VE READ:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (1,011 pages). A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords (about 831; 1,009; and 1,216 respectively).

MAJOR BOOK HANGOVER BECAUSE OF:

I tend not to have these too much because I am constantly reading and jump from one series to the next so I move on quickly. I tend to be sadder over series ending because you become to attached to the characters and their world and you invest a lot of time in them.

NUMBER OF BOOKCASES YOU OWN:

I have one big one and three small ones.

ONE BOOK YOU HAVE READ MULTIPLE TIMES:

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (Obviously). Also Atonement by Ian McEwan, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and We the Living by Ayn Rand.

PREFERRED PLACE TO READ:

Outside in the shade is nice, especially on a cool fall day when the leaves have changed. Or snuggled in bed on a rainy day with my dog. 

QUOTE THAT INSPIRES YOU/GIVES YOU ALL THE FEELS FROM A BOOK YOU’VE READ:

So many choices! Here are a couple: 
“Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. ”  Hamlet by Shakespeare
'Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.'" The Hobbit Chapter 19, pg. 300
“Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.” 
― Oscar WildeThe Picture of Dorian Gray
READING REGRET:
That I don't have more time to read! My to-read list is so long I feel like I will never finish. 
SERIES YOU STARTED AND NEED TO FINISH (ALL BOOKS ARE OUT IN SERIES):
A Song of Ice and Fire (still more books to be released...eventually). The Bloody Jack series by LA Meyer (I started it in middle school, it's about time I catch up). 

THREE OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE BOOKS:

The Hobbit, Atonement, and We the Living. Honorable mentions go to The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Catcher in the Rye, The Foreshadowing, The Poisonwood Bible, and 1984.

UNAPOLOGETIC FANGIRL FOR:

Anything and everything Tolkien! 

VERY EXCITED FOR THIS RELEASE MORE THAN ALL THE OTHERS:

Tough choice. I would have to go with the next book in A Song of Ice and Fire series. When that will be? I have no clue. 

WORST BOOKISH HABIT:

Buying books when I already have a huge stack of books to read. Or doing pleasure reading when I need to be reading for classes. 

X MARKS THE SPOT: START AT THE TOP LEFT OF YOUR SHELF AND PICK THE 27TH BOOK:

A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. Just a lighthearted little read (and that my friends was sarcasm. How about a soul-crushing chasm of awesomeness?). 
YOUR LATEST BOOK PURCHASE:
Technically the latest issue of Doctor Who magazine. If that doesn't count then it was Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen.  

ZZZ-SNATCHER BOOK (LAST BOOK THAT KEPT YOU UP WAY LATE):

Serena by Ron Rash. Set near where I live it is filled with history. But it is also chilling and compelling, I could not put it down! 
Your turn! Fill it in and leave a link in the comment section so I can check out what my fellow readers are up to :D

Comments

  1. Okay, I love your responses! Seriously, not only Tolkien but also Kindred (amazing book) and Tell the Wolves I'm Home?? Terrific choices. Plus I love that your fictional high school date is Bilbo. Just awesome. :) And yes, I'm waiting for book 6 in A Song of Ice & Fire too... whenever that may be.

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am glad someone else has read Tell the Wolves I'm Home and Kindred, I thought I may have been the only one! And anyone who appreciates Tolkien is automatically awesome :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment